ArcelorMittal Dofasco is committed to responding to the concerns of our neighbours. If you become aware of an environmental circumstance (i.e. a visible air emission, odour, noise, etc. ) that you believe is attributable to ArcelorMittal Dofasco, we encourage you to notify us as quickly as possible so that we can investigate your concern.
You can call (905) 544-3761 anytime to immediately initiate our response procedures or e-mail email@example.com which, depending on the time of your e-mail, may delay any response until the next business day.
In summary, ArcelorMittal Dofasco's procedure for responding to the concerns of our neighbours is as follows:
1. A community complaint or inquiry is received:
a) A complaint or inquiry may come directly to ArcelorMittal Dofasco from a member of the public, or indirectly from the Ministry of Environment (MOE) or the Hamilton Industrial Environment Association (HIEA)
b) The call is typically received by Security who:
- Collect basic information such as date, start and end time, name, address, phone number, nature of the complaint (e.g. noise, odour, fall-out) and any other details that would be helpful;
- Determines if the caller wishes a return call immediately or the next business day;
- Contacts the on-call Environment Department staff member;
2. Information is collected and an investigation is carried out:
a) The on-call Environment Department staff member may contact the complainant to get more information
b) The incident is entered in Environmental Data Management database to manage future activities and reporting obligations
c) Environment Department investigation includes:
- Wind speed/direction are checked at Hamilton Air Monitoring Network (HAMN) Station 29167 (located on Dofasco property);
- Business Units consulted to determine whether there has been an unusual operational occurrence or upset;
- Samples may be collected;
- Other Hamilton companies may be contacted
3. Follow up:
a) Environment Department follows up with the complainant:
b) Result of the investigation (i.e. whether or not ArcelorMittal Dofasco operations were the likely source of the complaint);
c) If so, describe actions taken or to be taken;
d) Responsible Business Unit manages the incident, including taking actions to investigate and address the root cause(s);
e) ArcelorMittal Dofasco will work with the complainant to determine whether the incident falls within the company's compensation framework.