This past weekend, the Hamilton District Catholic School Board hosted its second FIRST LEGO® League Hamilton Regional Qualifier for elementary school teams at Cardinal Newman Secondary School in Stoney Creek and we were pleased to be the Presenting Sponsor of the event. The Board’s STEMly Cup FIRST Robotics event, also presented by ArcelorMittal Dofasco, was held in November and saw high school robotics teams from across Hamilton, Ontario, Quebec and the U.S.A competing.
More than 500 elementary students in 18 teams competed last Saturday with eight major awards up for grabs as well as a chance to qualify for the Provincial Championships. During the competition, children worked to build and program an autonomous robot using the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® robot set. This year’s competition theme was ANIMAL ALLIESSM Challenge. Each team identified a problem that arises when people and animals interact. Their task was to design a solution that makes the interaction better for animals, people or both, share their problem and solution with others. In addition, each team designed, built and programmed their robot to complete missions with themes all related to animals. Each team had 2.5 minutes to earn points for completing missions.
Our sponsorship of the event is part of our overall commitment to inspiring the next generation of technology leaders through STEM education and competition. In addition to the FIRST LEGO® League, ArcelorMittal has also made the High Skills Advanced Manufacturing Program possible for local high school students, giving them a first-hand education in advanced manufacturing skills and career opportunities.
A hearty congratulations to all of the unbelievably talented students that participated. The following teams were winners in the event:
- 1st Place Champion – St. Matthew Robostangz Team 28112
- 2nd Place Champion – St. Luke RoboLazers 2.0 Team 2029
- 3rd Place Champion – St. Michael RoboAngels Team 19734
- Core Values – St. Thomas Wildbots Team 13685
- Robot Performance – St. John Baptist – Team 21907
- Robot Design – St. John Baptist – Team 21907
- Project Award – St. Joachim Jags – Team 21104
- Rookie Rising Star – St. Augustine Girls – Team 20435
- Coach Award – Jennifer Alessi
- Young Mentor Award – Aaron Shannon
- Volunteer Award – Matt Cipprietti
The FIRST LEGO League program is so popular that the event registration was overcapacity. As a result, five addition teams from Hamilton travelled to St. Catharines on Sat. Dec 3rd for the FIRST LEGO League Niagara Regional. Two Hamilton teams secured awards:
- Robot Design – St. Anthony Daniel Lego my Lego Maniacs – Team 27977
- Judge’s Award for Team Spirit – St. Brigid Dragons Team 21863